Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Thugz Mansion

    "Dear Mama, don't cry, ya baby boy's doing good, tell the homies I'm in heaven and they ain't got hoods. Seen the show wit Marvin Gaye last night. It had me shook, drinkin' peppermint schnapps wit Jackie Wilson and Sam Cooke. Then some lady named Billie Holiday sang sittin' there, kickin' it wit Malcolm til the day came. Little Natasha sho' grown, tell the lady in the liquor store that she's forgiven, so come home. Maybe in time, you'll understand only God can save us wit Miles Davis cuttin' loose in the band. Just think of all the people that you knew in the past that passed on, they in heaven, found peace at last. Picture a place where they exist together...there has to be a place better than this in heaven. So right before I sleep, Dear God what I'm asking...remember this face, save me a place at Thugz Mansion."

        That was the final verse of one of my favorite songs by the late Tupac Shakur, titled "Thugz Mansion," featuring Anthony Hamilton on the chorus. Despite my unrelenting belief that the song is a classic, none of my closest friends agree. In fact, they all believe I listen to the song entirely too much. Some have even insisted I stop listening altogether in order to get some perspective. Regardless of their feelings about it, I still hold strong in my conviction and never go a week without listening to the song on some platform.

          With this in mind, I pose this question. What is your "Thugz Mansion?" What is that one thing, person, or situation you couldn't  or simply won't stay away from if your life depended on it, but many of your friends and family think a separation is best? A toxic relationship, a pipe dream, perhaps Mary Jane and a few of her friends? Regardless of what your "Thugz Mansion" might be, it exists for everyone in some fashion. The more important question is "why?" Why can't you walk away from this person or situation? Why do you not believe everyone who says it's bad for you? Do you not trust them to have your best interest at heart?

         For me, I'm simply addicted to the lyrics of the song. The artistic and magical portrayal of what heaven might look like. I love this song so much, I would actually want it played on repeat at my funeral along with "Unconditional Love" by the same artist. Whatever your "Thugz Mansion" may be, the most important thing to keep in mind is why it matters to you. Not necessarily why everyone else thinks it's bad for you. Now, please don't take that out of context and decide to go poison your liver with two fifths of hard liquor or start hittin' the pipe like there's no tomorrow and then wonder why everyone is trying to get you into rehab. I am simply stating within reason, don't let anybody dissuade you from your "Thugz Mansion." Shout out to my good friend, Omar Solomon for asking me recently about my blog and suggesting this idea for my next one. As always, peace and blessings to all of you, and thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment